|“||Just give it a rest already. My iron... is my conviction given form... If I had cut you down in Hoemmh... Then, right now, you would feel my conviction. My iron will cut your convictionless sword!||”|
—Jail Murdoch when he blocking Licht's attack, Seriousness (Chapter 11)
Jail Murdoch (ジェイル＝マードック Jeiru Mādokku) is the second main male character of Plunderer. He is apart of the Althea Royal Guard, having the rank of squad leader with the title of Lieutenant. He is also the commander of special troop, Gefängnis.
Jail has short blue hair and blue eyes. He is typically wearing his military uniform with his glasses and white gloves.
Jail is incredibly finicky, being very detail-oriented making him a potent soldier and a capable combatant. Jail's conviction being the key component of his personality ends up being a driving force of his character arc eventually leading him to make decisions in the story which would be based on his deep-seated sense of justice.
Jail appears to lack any form of sex drive, having looked directly at the naked body of multiple female characters and simply telling them to "lose weight", while this is only shown to be different shortly after the arc where they travel to the past with his reactions towards a single character.
Jail was an orphan who has never once befriended anyone. He was later adopted by Alexandrov Grigorovich. When Jail first met Alexandrov, he said he didn't like him and tried to attack him, but was quickly stopped. Alexandrov told Jail that he should at least try to make a friend first before fighting him.
Jail first appeared in Chapter 3, along with his army arrived at Nana Bassler's mobile tavern. Jail asks Nana about Licht Bach and she stated she doesn't know where did he gone. Although Jail claims Nana was lying and told her that he won't forgive any liars for not speak the truth. Then, Nana stated that all she knows is that Licht went to East. Soon, Jail orders his army go to the west and destroys Nana's mobile tavern.
Appearance in Other MediaEdit
Schmelman's Alternative TalesEdit
Jail appeared in the Drama CD Schmelman's Alternative Tales.
In Cinderella part, Jail portrayed as second eldest sister-in-Law of Cinderella. During the stage, Jail wonder why is he wearing women dress and angered, which makes Licht (As the eldest sister-in-Law) laughed at his clothing. Hina (As Cinderella) and Gespenst (As youngest sister-in-Law) try to stop them, but Jail said his pride and conviction won't allow him for do such a childish stuffs. Soon, both Jail and Licht arguing each other due to he sexual harassed Hina by looking her panties. After Jail and Licht finished arguing, he started his acting on the stage by scolding Hina that if she have her conviction or not. Jail also claims Hina is a useless girl who don't have any good sides on her.
Abilities and PowerEdit
Jail's count is 900, his count stands for his piercing conviction. Jail maintains his true count hidden so as not to be promoted to a higher rank, so that he can continue with field missions. His original count is 12500, later decreasing to 12496, due to the events of the series. Later, it's revealed that Jail can increases his count to 45,000 by activating his second glove, thus showing how great his conviction is. Later, after losing against Alexandrov in the game of "The Startheft Bout", Jail's count was reduced to only 1. Jail's current count is 325000, after Alexandrov gave his Ballot to Jail.
Jail has a few powers, the most prominent ones being his iron creation ability.
- Iron Manipulation: Jail's signature ability, he can create iron constructs at will.
- Iron Constructs: Jail can turn any iron he created into tools, objects, weapons and semi-living constructs. The most noble stuffs he made were the iron pillars, iron groves and the Iron Devil.
- Iron Projection: Jail can release metal to attacks of various shapes toward his enemy.
- Conviction Empowerment: The power to gain strength from conviction.
- Lie Detection: Jail can detect lies to the people with less conviction than himself. Jail do this when Nana lied him about Licht's whereabouts, and when Erin inform him that Gespenst betrayed Licht.
- Deflection: In later chapters, Jail was shown being able to survive normally fatal wounds through will and conviction alone and eventually he was able to deflect bullets from people with less resolve than himself.
- Superhuman Speed: Jail can move almost as fast as Licht in 5700 count.
- Blast (爆撃 Bakugeki): Later, during Jail's fight against Robert, Jail is shown to be able to use Alexandrov's ability thanks to his Ballot.
- Pyrokinesis: The ability to control fire.
- Explosive Fire Manipulation: The ability to control fire that explodes or turns anything that the fire burns into a ticking time bomb.
- Fire Blast: The ability to release fire on a specific target area.
- Jail's character design is based on Sugata Eishirou from Minazuki Suu's previous works, Sora no Otoshimono.
- Jail is Minazuki Suu's favorite character, as confirmed by the anime director Kanbe Hiroyuki in the interview.
- ↑ Plunderer Chapter 17
- ↑ Plunderer Chapter 31
- ↑ Plunderer Anime Directors Talk Favorite Characters, Storyboarding and More!