|“||Just give it a rest already. My iron... is my conviction given form... If I had cut you down in Hoemmh... Then, right now, you would feel my conviction. My iron will cut your convictionless sword!||”|
—Jail Murdoch when he blocking Licht's attack, Seriousness (Chapter 11)
Jail Murdoch (ジェイル＝マードック Jeiru Mādokku) is the deuteragonist in Plunderer. He is associated with the Althea Royal Guard and is the squad leader with the rank of Lieutenant. Jail is also the commander of special troop in Gefängnis.
Jail has short icy blue hair and a long streak of black that matches the color of his iron. His eyes are also a blue color. Jail is seen wearing his military uniform, a pair of white gloves and his signature glasses.
Jail is very detail-oriented, making him a potent soldier and a capable combatant. His conviction is the key component of his personality and ends up being a driving force of his character development. This eventually leads him to make decisions based on his deep-seated sense of justice.
At a glance, Jail appears to be asexual and very career oriented. For instance, he has been in a situation where he was within close proximity to naked female bodies and he casually told them to "lose weight". However, it is during the time travel plot when things seem to change, in terms of Jail's reaction towards a particular character.
Appearance in Other Media
Jail appeared in the special booklets that's released together with the anime's Blu-ray.
Schmelman's Alternative Tales
Jail appeared in the Drama CD Schmelman's Alternative Tales.
In Cinderella part, Jail portrayed as second eldest sister-in-Law of Cinderella. During the stage, Jail wonder why is he wearing women dress and angered, which makes Licht (As the eldest sister-in-Law) laughed at his clothing. Hina (As Cinderella) and Gespenst (As youngest sister-in-Law) try to stop them, but Jail said his pride and conviction won't allow him for do such a childish stuffs. Soon, both Jail and Licht arguing each other due to he sexual harassed Hina by looking her panties. After Jail and Licht finished arguing, he started his acting on the stage by scolding Hina that if she have her conviction or not. Jail also claims Hina is a useless girl who don't have any good sides on her.
Abilities and Power
Jail's count is 900, his count stands for his piercing conviction. Jail maintains his true count hidden so as not to be promoted to a higher rank, so that he can continue with field missions. His original count is 12500, later decreasing to 12496, due to the events of the series. Later, it's revealed that Jail can increases his count to 45,000 by activating his second glove, thus showing how great his conviction is. Later, after losing against Alexandrov in the game of "The Startheft Bout", Jail's count was reduced to only 1. Jail's current count is 325000, after Alexandrov gave his Ballot to Jail.
Jail has a few powers, the most prominent ones being his iron creation ability.
- Iron Manipulation: Jail's signature ability, he can create iron constructs at will.
- Iron Constructs: Jail can turn any iron he created into tools, objects, weapons and semi-living constructs. The most noble stuffs he made were the iron pillars, kunai knifes, iron groves and the Iron Devil.
- Iron Projection: Jail can release metal to attacks of various shapes toward his enemy.
- Conviction Empowerment: The power to gain strength from conviction.
- Lie Detection: Jail can detect lies to the people with less conviction than himself. Jail do this when Nana lied him about Licht's whereabouts, and when Erin inform him that Gespenst betrayed Licht.
- Deflection: In later chapters, Jail was shown being able to survive normally fatal wounds through will and conviction alone and eventually he was able to deflect bullets from people with less resolve than himself.
- Superhuman Speed: Jail can move almost as fast as Licht in his 5700 count form.
- Blast (爆撃 Bakugeki): Later, during Jail's fight against Robert, Jail is shown to be able to use Alexandrov's ability thanks to his Ballot and conviction.
- Pyrokinesis: The ability to control fire.
- Explosive Fire Manipulation: The ability to control fire that explodes or turns anything that the fire burns into a ticking time bomb.
- Fire Blast: The ability to release fire on a specific target area.
- Jail's character design is based on Sugata Eishirou from Minazuki Suu's previous works, Sora no Otoshimono.
- Jail is Minazuki Suu's favorite character, as confirmed by the anime director Kanbe Hiroyuki in the interview.
- In Yen Press's translation, Jail says “belief” instead of “conviction”.
- Plunderer Chapter 17
- Plunderer Chapter 31
- Plunderer Anime Directors Talk Favorite Characters, Storyboarding and More!